College football recruiting never stops, but with high school ball well under way (and now being played in all 50 states, thankfully) now feels like an appropriate time for many services to update their player rankings.
And that's exactly what On3 Sports did on Tuesday - as they updated their 2022 recruiting rankings.
Here are the Top 25 players in America, per On3, with their Top 300 players listed here:
1. EDGE Marvin Jones Jr. - Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) American Heritage
2. ATH Travis Hunter - Suwanee (Ga.) Collins Hill – Florida State commit
3. DL Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy - Lakeland (Fla.) High
4. WR Evan Stewart - Frisco (Texas) Liberty
5. DL Mykel Williams - Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway – USC commit
6. DL Walter Nolen - Powell (Tenn.) High
7. CB Daylen Everette - Norfolk (Va.) IMG Academy – Clemson commit
8. LB Harold Perkins - Cypress (Texas) Cy Park
9. ATH Malaki Starks - Jefferson (Ga.) High – Georgia commit
10. CB Domani Jackson - Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – USC commit
11. DL Shemar Stewart - Opa Locka (Fla.) Monsignor Pace
12. CB Denver Harris - Houston North Shore
13. DL Anthony Lucas - Scottsdale (Ariz.) Chaparral
14. WR Barion Brown Nashville (Tenn.) Pearl-Cohn
15. CB Terrance Brooks - Little Elm (Texas) – Ohio State commit
16. OT Kiyaunta Goodwin - Charlestown (Ind.) High – Kentucky commit
17. TE Jaleel Skinner - Greer (S.C.) IMG Academy
18. EDGE Jeremiah Alexander - Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson – Alabama commit
19. IOL Devon Campbell - Arlington (Texas) Bowie
20. LB C.J. Hicks - Dayton (Ohio) Archbishop Alter – Ohio State commit
21. QB Drew Allar - Medina (Ohio) High – Penn State commit
22. WR Jordan Hudson - Garland (Texas) High – SMU commit
23. S Bryce Anderson - Beaumont (Texas) West Brook – Texas A&M commit
24. B Nicholas Singleton - Reading (Pa.) Governor Mifflin – Penn State commit
25. CB Toriano Pride - East St. Louis (Ill.) – Clemson commit
Admittedly, if you follow recruiting there aren't a ton of surprises here - although there are some interesting things to note.
One, the early story of the 2022 recruiting cycle has been Penn State's early emergence with the top class in virtually all the recruiting rankings. They have two of the Top 25 players according to On3, with quarterback Drew Allar especially making a solid rise in the last few months, after a strong showing at the Elite 11 camp in Los Angeles this summer. Overall the Nittany Lions have 11 players ranked in On3's Top 300 players.
It also raises an interesting question: Could that class, potentially in conjunction with Penn State making a run at a Big Ten title and College Football Playoff berth keep James Franklin in Happy Valley and away from the USC head coaching job? It's worth keeping an eye on.
Speaking of USC, it's interesting to note to that the Trojans are the program - not Ohio State, Alabama or Georgia - to have two of the Top 10 players in the class committed, defensive end Mykel Williams and corner Domani Jackson. It's worth noting that neither will be official until they sign on the dotted line, and Jackson has even taken visits to other schools this fall (Michigan a few weeks ago, Alabama down the road). Still, it shows the power of the USC brand, especially in Southern California.
And you really do wonder what the ceiling of the program can be if they get the right coach, who can not only get these players to campus, but develop them as well.
Overall, the most Top 300 players reads like this: Ohio State currently has the most with 13, Texas believe it or not has 12, so too does Alabama, while Texas A&M has 11, Notre Dame 10 and LSU nine overall.
A couple other interesting notes from the Top 25, including the commitment of five-star wide receiver Jordan Hudson to SMU, and the fact that the top overall player committed - corner Travis Hunter, at least for now is headed to a bad Florida State program.
Finally, how about the No. 1 player in Marvin Jones?
With visits scheduled to Clemson and Oklahoma the last two weeks, and Alabama and (November 6th) and Florida State (November 13th) it's going to be a while before we get any clarification on where he's going to end up.
To get caught up from everything at Aaron Torres Online:
Follow Aaron Torres Media on Facebook
Follow Aaron Torres Media on Twitter
Follow Aaron Torres Media on Instagram
Also, make sure to subscribe to the new College Football Betting Podcast with Aaron Torres, as new episodes drop every Monday and Thursday